Thursday, August 28, 2008

I have a ruined Knee: Pre Admission

"Enjoy you're last few pre-op pain free days!" - Enthusiastic Doctor

Today I had to venture to uni for a 1 hour tute, then straight back home, took about 4 hours. Then I got to drive all the way to Hornsby hospital (another hour or so of travel) for pre-admission!

Did a urine sample, that was fun.

Then a swab test. That was also fun.
"I need to get a nose swab and a groin swab,"
"...What?"
"Tilt your head back," before she nimbly jams a swab up my nose and twirls it around.
"Alright now I need a groin swab, can you lower your jeans?"

She handed me a bottle of disinfectant and instructions on how to wash myself with it before the operation.

Back in the waiting room a happy doctor comes to greet me. Telling me to step into his office with a funny look on his face. He takes me to a ward, I see a chair and a bedside table. He notes the particular lack of a second chair, and asks one of the nurses eagerly "Pass me that wheelie one!" The doctor pulls the curtain around, sits down in the chair, lowers the bedside table to where he can write on it and proudly annouces "Welcome to my office!" and later joked about the lack of resources at the hospital.

While asking me just general health questions I hear someone on the phone in the background, he was listening and looks up with a bright look on his face, "Wow, thats great, the patient we thought was going to die didn't die!" I thought he was joking, by the way he told me, but I heard a bit more and the guy was talkign about how against all expectations the patient had survived.

"So how did you injure yourself?"
"...Sport. Someone ran into my knee."
"Really which one?"
"Ultimate Frisbee,"
Again, more funny looks from him "Well I didn't think that was the sort of sport where you get injured!"

I was faced again with that one time of whether I should bother trying to explain that yes it was a real sport, yes it was taken seriously, and yes people can get injured pretty badly.

"Have you done any drugs?"
"No."
"No pot, smack, cocaine, ecstacy?"
"No."
"...Crack?"

A few minutes later we packed up his temp office and I headed out.

"Enjoy you're last few pre-op pain free days!"

No comments: