Sunday, October 12, 2008

Sugery Adventures: 1 month on

I was just sifting through my physio papers and realised I haven't been at 100% since the end of March this year when I rolled my ankle. I had to just strap it up and play on it at the juniors camp and through nationals was just a lot of tape.

So it's been a while since I've really been able to play sport properly.

Though 1 month on things are looking good. The first 2 weeks after the surgery were pretty rough, especially when I had to get back to uni.

Now though walking is no longer such a painful challenge, I can now dress myself without pain or difficulty, I can bend my knee back to about 100 degrees, do squats, ride at the no resistance level and my hamstring is now strong enough to lift my leg.

The funniest part of it was probably being on peak hour buses and having an old woman get up for me. It was probably the nicest thing someone did for me that day. It was also funny becuase last time I was on crutches the people on buses were assholes pushing and shoving when I clearly have an issue walking without crutches.

I'm now doing squats down about 3/4 of the way to 90 degrees, wallsits that are pretty far from 90 degrees, 1 legged sqauts barely down at all, as well as hamstring and calf stretching.

One of the hardest exercises that I got was that I had to lie on my stomach and lift my leg up bending at the knee using my hamstring like I was doing a quad stretch.

It surprised me and scared me the first time I was asked to do this I was too weak to be able to lift the whole way (more than about 15cm off the ground) i had to use my other leg to help it up.

its a lot stronger now though.

the other weird one was i have to do quad contractions that is I just sit down with my legs out straight and try to tighten my quad. It was a huge psychological barrier, the muscle was there, not very developed but still there and it took about a day of just sitting there trying to make it happen. It was a very strange sensation feeling so disconnected from my quad that I could not contract it at will.

I was again surprised at the number of people who have torn ACL's one of the SUUFA exchange kiddys Jimmy is about 4 months post op and was reliving many of the experiences through our conversations (and telling me what joys I had ahead) and recently spoke to Elsey who I found out also tore his a few years ago.

So the Physio bills are stacking up, I need to get into a gym and an exercise bike soon but being too lazy. Better take better care of myself...

In the mean time I have been occupying myself with Treasurer work from Suufa, went down to melb on a short holiday and watched the last 2 days of unigames saw Suufa's final defeat to Flinders, which was a shame since it was only the second game I'd seen them watch. It was a little painful being on the sidelines I think Simon Hyatt (my travel buddy and Suufa secretary) and I were the only Suufa supporters... and Brett's mum. What I saw was a defense that could not shut down Joel and Alex who liberally threw over and through the Suufa wall, a couple of very good overloading on the deep defender with Joel on the disc, splitting the deep while the wings were biting in too close down the sides offering no help on the huck. Apparantly the Suufa offense was nothign that it'd been all tournament but from what I saw they were struggling not being able to throw through or over the wall and a dropped energy by the end of the game. I was later reminded of this with the 40-0 victory of Manly over Melbourne storm that even professional athletes can get hit by the nerves and of course how amazingly important a teams morale can be.

I've also been playing a lot more poker since I can't do anything else, had a savage session of 5/10c blinds with friends from $5 buy in up to $22 in 4 hours of solid and down $17 in the last 30 minutes getting unlucky not becuase I got bad hands, but I got really good hands I couldnt let go of. I've also made a return to competitive gaming after 3 and a half years, playing COD4 with a 15-5 victory with c[_] over Ministry of Gaming.

No comments: