Friday, November 28, 2008

Leaving Small Ponds

This is an ego post, written quickly at the behest of a friend. Sorry.

For almost a year now, the only exceptional aspect to my ultimate career - the thing that made me stand out most - was the fact I was a junior, and eligible to compete in junior events (Youth Nationals, Junior Worlds). So, I've done all that, had my Worlds campaign where I matched up better than I had expected against most but still pretty middle-of-the-road-y, but my time in the junior's spotlight has passed.

Intermediate Male Syndrome, or IMS, is a disorder that I would say effects 20-30% of male ultimate players. It occurs when the big leaps and bounds forward in terms of playing ability (both fitness and skills) become less and less frequent and progress is plateau'd. Where once small efforts - the occasional run, doing a set of one hundred throws once a week - made a big difference, now even large exertions result in minimal noticeable gain. Obviously, there is a high temptation to, once this plateau is reached, basically just say 'fuck it' and be content with being average: IMS comes into the picture where players who have reached this wall have disproportionally large egos and misconceptions about their ability.

Why is this an issue for me? I'm leaving the small pond, and now the choice is mine as to whether I bust my nut and improve, or putter about on my present course.

No comments: