Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Drugs in Ultimate and Improvement

I was speaking to Evan (who has just entered a marathon) about GU, that high energy carb stuff you take during marathons and stuff so you don't pass out and die since you need something like 3000 calories for a run, but you can only store around 2000 before hitting the wall, so you need some sugary supplements.

Recently was also Youth Nats, I saw some photos which looked like fun. Tiger told me a story at Gala day the North Sydney teams were still using "North Sydney!" "TIT YEAH," as their cheer, which warmed my heart and reminded me of 2007.

It all reminded me of our excellent coach Mike Baldwin, who successfully created what was later identified as "a well oiled dump swing machine," thanks Mike Baldwin, you are probably one of the best coaches I've had.

The other thing he did happened on the last day of youth nats in 2007. For us, it was day 4, 2 days of the training camp and then 2 days of games. For kids who hadn't played beyond a 1 day tournament before, day 4 came as quite a challenge.

Mike Baldwin rocked up with some aid.

First was some of the GU stuff, I don't know if it really helped but its chocolatey goodness was well appreciated. The cool bit was when Mike rocked up with a large jar of 500 pills. He recalled his adventures playing frisbee for Masters (I think?) and that this was called the 'chemical stretch.' He handed out the little blue pills. They were anti-inflammatories like neurofen for his back problems earlier in his life.

My knee recovery is going nicely, I bought a new bike to take a ride around Manly Dam and Mt Stromlo (in Canberra with a friend) as soon as exams are over after my other bike had a fit after I got airbourne a couple of times going around the Dam. I'm worried that I have to be game ready in 3 months time, and able to be good enough to show my value in the Sydney Uni side for AUG's before then. Time to start training harder.

The main thing I've been focusing on is my 2.4km run. The first time I ran it (about 2 months ago) it took me 14:30 and tonight I ran it in 11:00. I want to get it down to around 9-10 minutes. Physio has also instructed me to get some sprints in, touch and turns, running figure 8s and lots of jumping. My knee still niggles at me...

AUGs training here I come.

2 comments:

Maple said...

As soon as i am allowed to run again ill join your fitness band wagon. It makes me feel better that I am not the only one who is comig abck from a long layoff frisbee and injury and trying to get onto the team.

Cameron said...

Good to see you back in some form mate. I will similarly be joining the fitness bandwagon for the purposes of AUGs. Perhaps a combined training diary is in order?? Could be a good way to both track progress and provide motivation.