Monday, January 14, 2008

The aussie under 20 training sqaud.

We made it.

All of Friskee that went to the camp managed to get onto the Australian training squads for Terra and Thunder.

Last week has been in Melbourne training camp, and the first cut for the Worlds Junior Teams.
I managed to get into the squad, but I'm going to have a lot of work to do to be able to make it onto the team, I didn't realise there was that much potential on the Aussie junior scene.

The comments I received
"welcome to the squad"
"we like what you bring"
"good sideline chatter"
"get fit"
"lose weight"
"work on forehands, particularly inside outs and wider pivoting"
"we have no idea what you do, and as a result would not fit on the team."

How do I feel about that?
Yes, I am good at yelling at people, yes I do need to get a lot fitter and losing weight would make it easier to run faster. Throwing, you will never be perfect but you can never stop trying.

My role in the team is a good one. There is such strong handlers, I dont think I'd fit as a handler, there is such strong receivers, as well.

I have always played a handler due to lack of handlers, I have little receiver experience as a result.

So, for Friskee Max is going to start handling and I'm going to try and start receiving more.
I'm not so sure about weather I'd make it onto the worlds team even in 3 months, but I know for sure I have a lot of work to do, if I train as hard as I can and still make it, I will not be disappointed, but if I get to March, miss out on the team and feel like I could have done better, I will feel cut.

The Camp

It was a great and well organised camp.
Lots of running, a few games.

It was a lot of fun, and when Piers blew that whistle after the 100 throws "Bring it in thunder boys," and went on to teach us about Pommy and transition d, gave Tiger a quick nod and look as we both acknowledged our frisbee boners getting bigger and bigger...

I can tell you it was messy, but hell it was a lot of fun and felt oh so goood when we did get it right, knowing it was done to you was a bit painful... 'hang on why is the deep following me all the way in....'

RECOGNISE

The ups of the weeks - just about everything, warm ups, cool downs, throws, coaching, Australia vs Columbia games...

That was a really interesting experience seeing how a zone works, I'm surprised at how long it took people to understand, and even when I could see what to do, and realising it was an offense every time sort of drill should win, screwing up the only 2 tries I got.

The social side of it, one thing I will be sad about if i don't make the team is how much awesome fun I'll be missing out on, I loved the whole camp, meeting people, making friends, and just spending time with those that already are.

The downs of the week?

One thing annoyed me which was people not forcing properly, getting broken and the whole team being punished for it.

Also people not clearing.

But lastly that I don't think I played very well this week, I have played better and I know I can perform better than I did, which is sad because its been the only time I've been judged on my play. I also know all the stupid stuff I did during the week happened to be infront of the selectors.

The good news?
That means that I can improve a lot more easily between now and the next camp.

I'll post some other happy memories later but sleep and rest calls.

FRISKEE TOMORROW!
I'm pumped for some pommy transition to straight up d.

its going to rock.

1 comment:

matthilljnr said...

"I also know all the stupid stuff I did during the week happened to be infront of the selectors."

It's Murphy's Law isn't it?