Tuesday, January 22, 2008

A little more throwing and thinking

Tiger came over for a while before our Friskee game. Thought it'd be nice to get some throws down...

100 throws drill?
Not after that post by Tiger.

One of my comments from selectors (apart from get fit) was 'Work on forehands, specifically inside outs,"

Our response, 100 forehands (varying stances and distances) and then 100 IO forehands (varying stances and distances)

I find it interesting watching other people throw their throws, and good people as well. Having JD on my Melbourne hat team was the first time in a long time I've become better at frisbee just by watching someone.

The 06 WUCC ultivillage dvd has a lot of throwing on it, and there was one huck from Tom Rogaki that I couldnt work out. Basically someone threw an up line dump to him, his marker lays out and misses, he has a free shot for a huck, he takes it. He steps backwards about a shoulder length apart with his non pivot foot and squats a bit and then jacks it inside out for an awesome huck.

So I thought hey, that looks like fun Mr Gak and in the IO throwing sets.

So summary of the throw I tried to use.
  • Backwards instead of forwards or sideways pivot
  • No width on the step, very close, about a shoulder length
  • 45 degree angle backwards.
  • Low release point
  • Inside out throw
  • Hucking distance
  • Squat in the throw.
What did I notice apart from making Tiger run a lot because it went a long way, but also in the wrong direction?

Changed my throwing dynamic, a lot more wrist flick to arm waving ratio.
It did stop me from rolling my wrist over which causes my io to turn into an oi and flutter and miss, which was pretty good.

I could throw pretty far with that, but I didn't know why... but it did stop the wrist turning which helped a lot.

We also did about 50 or so push passes and backhand lifts (just a high release backhand that rises quickly and falls slowly - for throwing over stuff)

Was good.

Did a set and game at frisbee.

No comments: