Friday, December 28, 2007

Training with Tiger

From now I'm going to use this weblog as my training diary: an idea that makes sense to me because this way other people can see what I'm doing, give me advice/help if I need/they want and most important of all I probably won't lose it. Highly likely if I attempted it on paper.

So, it's time for a State of Le Tigre address:

In the cooldown period after my Tuesday and Thursday night League games (as well as Wednesday night training with Fakulfoot) stopped - my ideal time to start training - I got very sick. I wasn't quite all right (the usual, coughing fits late at night which led to vomiting, leading to no sleep or energy, so the cycle began anew) until Christmas Eve. Here we go.

24/12: First Big Training Session: Joined by my main man Semfel, we started off with 100 throws, which led to a 1k? (not sure of the distance) jog which I varied with some sprinting to challenge myself. Then a water break. Plyo's Semfel and I stole from Barefoot - we looked very silly but I could definitely feel the plyometrics stimulating muscles I use while jumping. 100 throws, again. Interval running ('Let's sprint to this cone, walk to the next, two cones length of jogging after that then sprint for two!') for a very long time. Water break.

As far as I can recall, the next and last thing we did was a modified shuttle run/kill drill: five cones, three in a stack about ten metres away from the two 'throwing cones' (the cone on the left for righty backhand/lefty forehand, the cone on the right for righty forehand/lefty backhand). It was the receiver's job to start in the middle of the three cones, which were about 5m away from one another. Starting at cone 2 (middle) he would sprint out to cone 3 (furthest away from thrower) as a deep fake, turn and sprint to cone 1, get the disc from the thrower, dump it immediately, sprint to cone 2, fake open-side cut then sprint to the breakside for a dump, then jog to cone 2 and bust deep past cone 3 for a huck/score. Repeat with the thrower on the other side.

We did that drill with about six lots of two reps each, and later made the thrower have to cut to the first cone instead of staying stationary.

Then to finish it off we did a modified 100 throws: two 'throwing lanes' erected with cones, every throw has to be caught within the lanes otherwise both people's set of 10 throws starts again, and you have to do pushups as punishment. Pushups work on an increment system - first mistake = 1, second = 2, etc etc, all the way up to 10 whereby they go back down: 9, then 8, then 7 for every mistake. The idea was that if one managed to make 20 mistakes (travel the whole way up to ten then back to zero) then you start the entirety of 100 throws all over again.

That drill sucked, and my arms still hurt. Although it led (on my side, Semfel was understandably more tired than I from a 9 hour shift and too much noodles the hour previous) to a much greater appreciation of the disc, and made me really concentrate on catching the disc with two hands wherever possible (because I am weak and hate push ups). Despite doing it while physically exhausted, this drill made me extremely mentally focused.

Cooled down with a bit of a run and lots of stretching. I'm going to notch that one into the 'highly successful' column. I learnt a lot.

T.

No comments: