Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Focus, Now

A problem I have not just in spades but in buckets and other, more ergonomic and practical containers, is losing focus, and disengaging from games I am playing. This is a problem- often it will not be the more athletic or the more skilled team who prevails, but simply the team who wants it more. Being engaged - being focused - is a large part of this.

Unfortunately, there isn't much of an on/off switch to competitiveness in the human psyche, so I thought I'd share a sort of drill that helps me out when I am trying to switch on.

Get two discs between two people, one person each with one disc. Stand a short distance apart, and throw the discs between one another. Aim chiefly not to drop any discs, and to keep your throws on target. Done properly, at no time should any one player have both discs.

I find that this exercise demands nearly complete concentration. Which is good, if focus is what you are lacking. The best part is, it can be done quickly on the sideline for a few minutes until you feel in the zone.

No comments: