Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Friskee!

I couldnt help it, I went along to a game with Friskee and came on a few points...

It was a sad reminder of what I'd been missing out on.

Played a bit of zone handler, I was happy with my throwing and catching. It was against the bad beats and they had a pretty solid line up. (When everyone arrived... we started playign 4/2 with them only 4/1). It was probably a good experience for our less experienced players running into their zone.

Seeing some of the guys on my youth nats team come up against their first semi decent zone, I found out why they don't allow zone in youth nationals, it would completely invalidate a lot of inexperienced players despite their athleticism and disc skills.

Thanks to Bad Beats for letting us pick up about 4-5 players...

We had 2 new girls come along and play Bella and Laura, Bad Beats were very friendly and nice to them I think it was a good first experience at a competitive game of frisbee.

It was also Mark Evans last game with Friskee before he goes away to Europe and England, he did a couple of very nice catches, his pulling was pretty solid but his hucking wasnt too good that game. It was also the first game I had a chance to play on the same field as Brett Matzuka, hes a very fun guy to play with, has lots and lots of crafty handler moves and very friendly. Unfortunately the points we did play were sort of short... probably because I could play close to zero d due to my knee still and not running at all.

Came away with a few assists I was overall happy with my hucking, bad choices at the time (he wasn't really that open) on a few of them but they still came off. Equally there were some very good choices and good throws that became dropped pancake catches... I also tried to huck a backhand as a fast break throw off a turn, a mark come on at the last moment and i didn't follow through properly and threw a huge inside out backhand blade, funny thing was the 3 offensive guys becuase 2 misread it managed to completely box out Tim Gee to give mark a relatively easy catch. I guess thats totally buzz bullets style hucking blades to make position matter more compared to height!

Simon Talbot also made a guest star appearance since hes here for ECC's, was fun having a bit of a chat with him, and he had some very nice faking happening when he went on for a guest star point with 100% completion and points scored when on the field.

I also had my first taste of an assassination zone since our first season of friskee (no one has used it against us for a while) and this time it was me that was assassinated. When I realised I tried to stay behind the disc, and then started running around sort of directionless just tryign to keep my man away from the action.

Brendon the fantastic cool and all around nice guy Frisbee player came and had a chat to me about it saying why I was assassinated (passing to girls) and what I should have done, which was basically just keep moving and try and pop to stay useful and mess aroudn with their zone.

I really like it when people teach me very important stuff like that!

At the end of the game had a chat with Brett and Alex Allen about the future of ourselves in frisbee with a very positive outlook!


Thanks to bad beats for a very fun game with plenty of pick ups, pretty good spirit i think.

Damn.
I forgot the score.

1 comment:

Simon Talbot said...

Yeah...faking being a real athlete!