Thursday, March 13, 2008

Another learning encounter

Last night (Wednesday night) we had the Sydney boys Worlds squad run.

It was a learning experience for me, also very painful.

  1. 1km is longer on an athletics track than when marked out down in Melbourne by cones.
  2. Never eat after an over full meal. I learnt this one by feeling sick when I arrived, and wanting to throw up during the warm up. I know I am unfit, but not that unfit.
  3. Eating meat and dairy for 2 days will not make you feel better when you go for a run. I started eating for regionals following a plan of Monday/tuesday - meat wednesday carbo/vitamins, thurs friday carbo POWER LOADING.
  4. Just becuase I've improved a lot doesn't mean my relative position to everyone else (the last one) is any better. (I still came last by a lot)
  5. The NSW team is very fit.
I was happy with my performance and I enjoyed the sprints.

I was a bit disappointed with my own performance, and I think I made it a lot harder on myself than was neccessary due to the food i ate before hand.

I had a meal 30 mins before hand that made me sick during the warm up. I had eaten a lot of dairy and protein the past 2 days for regionals. I spoke to my athlete friend who informed me "Stay away from salts, protein and dairy, the dairy builds up mucus making it harder to breathe. ... I don't eat 2 hours before any training session and I watch what I eat the days before each session."

I guess they're things to focus on.

After the run I'm worrying more and more it will be my fitness that will not let me into the Australian Juniors Team...

I appreciate the consistency award I was given by members of the squad for shaving 12 seconds off my last time after going to the toilet.

This week I'm going to try and get some sprint training as well as the mental preparation of either getting into the team or not getting into it.

What's making the ground shudder beneath me?
THUNDER

Fire up the selection camp is on its way.

2 comments:

Owen said...

You might want to see what the experts at the Australian Sport Commission reckon: http://www.ausport.gov.au/ais/nutrition/topics/competition_and_training

There is some good info there on pre-training food.

Plus there are recipes over on the left. Three good criteria: good healthy fuel, quick, tasty.

Owen said...

Second go: try this link to the ASC.