Monday, April 7, 2008

Back to Basics... Learn to catch

Fakulbee in our games have had a lot of dropping accidents, so Kenny gave us some advice on how to catch better, refering us to the catching technique of the Australian wicket keeper, Adam Gilchrist.

He pointed out if you ever watch him, and he was damn good, he always would follow the ball into his hands, with his eyes, even after he had made the catch.

When you do this, you will be dropping fewer discs since it seemed so many of our drops were from thinking we had the catch and looking up for the next pass.

Field awareness is good, but so is catching the disc.
I've been focusing on catching more like this, even with the easy throws.

2 comments:

Simon Talbot said...

I've found that this year I've dropped the disc very few times in games (three, in fact) because I've changed my thought process.

Old = I know what part of the field I want to throw to next, so I will look there once I catch the disc.

New = I know who I want to throw to next, so I will look for them once I catch the disc.

I picked up on that after watching Al Don at Mixed Nats. Once the pull left the thrower's hand, his focus never left the disc until he caught it.

Once you've played on a team long enough, you know approximately where your primaries/middles/poppers are going to be once you've caught the disc, so you aren't worried at all about that, so 100% of your focus is on catching the disc.


Theoretically, anyway. It makes perfect sense to me :)

JdR said...

Man ... Ballarat Ultimate makes the most excellent list, but not Brisbane Ultimate? You guys are mean!