Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Things I have learned in the past week not playing Frisbee and Balance.

Frisbee was rained out all this week.
Thursday last week Fak training was thundered and hailed out at the same time.
Tuesday we missed out on Friskee, fields were rained out.
Went and did 120 throws in the city with Max.
Wednesday did nothing, went for my jog and did the core strength.
I'm getting better at jogging.

So really, nothing much has happened this week but I've learned so much, and been thinking... well fantasising about ultimate, after Jimmy's email about "Get off your feet," about chasing the defender down. (http://www.chasingplastic.com/archives/issue-pages/v3i2/two-steps-defensive.htm)

So a few things.
1. Never go for jogs after eating. I've done this twice now, and it makes the jog about 3x as challenging because my stomach hates me for jogging while it tries to digest my food.
2. Do pushups before situps, then your abs will hurt less.
3. Don't try to do throws or fitness with long jeans in humid weather. You will lose a lot of flexibility, and on top of that you will feel filthy.
4. Don't run away from barking dogs, it only makes them angrier.

But also I did a lot of thinking.

I think Balance and efficiency are some of the most important things in Frisbee, and unfortunately without actually having any formal training, its never something I've really seen emphasised enough. Think about it. Balance is what allows you to change direction quickly, sprint at full speed from letting go of the disc, throw without falling over, getting on the mark after a failed bid, keeping that pressure on the mark. Effeciency is saving the goal with a switch for deep, keeping you less tired on the field, and making each one of those cuts and attempted blocks sting the opponents for being lazy.

A few things that reminded me of this (apart from Parinella's amazing explanations of it all) watching the WUCC06 Dvd, there was one point that involved the Gak hucking it. What was so good about this huck? Perfect break force flow huck to an open receiver sprinting down the breakside with no pivot.

So how did this happen?

Well a little background. I hate getting broken. I hate it when one person is over enthusiastic on the mark and his entire team is punished for it. (Layout block attempt from fake, break force throw, flow down the breakside to score - 4 short/medium passes) Why is this annoying? It defeats Parinellas blessed principles of efficiency and balance. He made an inefficient act, wasted his energy in a lay out on a fake, and he completely lost his balance. The cost of this bid? A break force throw, and a free 3-4 steps before the mark can get up after the thrower has sprinted off.

So this happened to the gack, his defender makes a bid, he punishes the failed bid with a huck to score.

So what's my main argument?
Well back to this article: (http://www.chasingplastic.com/archives/issue-pages/v3i2/two-steps-defensive.htm)

It is fantastic, I am inspired, I will run harder and I will lay out, but I think it fails to miss the crucial point to please note timing and balance with a meager few lines at the end. Its like being on the mark, we are taught "Don't try to get the handblock, thats not your responsibility just don't get broken." I think this is the same, holding the force and not getting broken goes beyond being on the mark staying on your toes, hands low, it involves getting there, and on your face on the ground is not a fantastic place to be when you're on the mark.

I mean hey we're taught to be efficient all the time, Jimmy came to watch one of our friskee games, after a particularly enthusiastic point he spoke to me at the end "Use that energy in a more productive way!"

He was right. Wait for the moment, then bust your guts.

...

The last thing I learned?

Just because you raised half a guys stack, over bet the pot in position with JQs does not neccessarily mean that he will not call with q4o and hit 2 pair on a board of q/4/8.

No comments: