Friday, February 29, 2008

Words of Wisdom from "The 2002 Water Polo Handbook" Part 1

I'm going to join the Sydney Uni 6th Grade team I think.
I found this booklet, its full of wisdom and I think its even good for Frisbee on some of the mental/training/coaching aspects.

This is an absolute Gem, I'll post bits of it over the next few posts.

ATTRIBUTES OF A TOP FIELD PLAYER
Or what selectors look for

In Training:
  1. Is punctual
  2. Is regular
  3. Is Relaxed
  4. Will listen
  5. Does concentrate
  6. Sets targets for each session
  7. Is Coachable
In the game:

  1. Has Ball Skills
  2. Can read the game
  3. Has threatening outside shot
  4. Has driving maneuverability
  5. Can hold position at centre forward
  6. Can score at center forward
  7. Can defend at centre back
  8. Has swimming ability
Between sessions and games:

  1. Evaluates each performance
  2. Looks after injuries
  3. Discusses things with coach
Before sessions and games

  1. Prepares mentally
  2. Stretches and warms up properly.
For Frisbee I think i'd change the in game skills to:

  1. Has Ball Skills - Has disc skills
  2. Can read the game
  3. Has threatening outside shot - Has a threatening huck
  4. Has driving maneuverability - Is agile and quick on feet
  5. Can hold position at centre forward - Can get open deep and in the endzone short play
  6. Can score at center forward - Can sky it if things come down to it (The point of scoring at CF means that they are a very physically dominating player - which is why I chose skying, as I felt it was just about getting a good read, good position and jumping high,all things a good CF can do)
  7. Can defend at centre back - Can play both effective man defense and zone.
  8. Has swimming ability - Has strong tournament endurance.
How many of these things do YOU have?

4 comments:

Simon Talbot said...

I reckon I'm "coachable".

Farmer John said...

hey, nice blog guys, been reading it a bit of late. Interesting to see the point of view that's similar to mine. IE - people that are good and rapidly improving rather than already at an established very elite level.

JdR said...

What happened to the regular posting?

Tiger said...

As for myself? Uni has started, nationals and juniors training has intensified and generally I've been flat out.

Semfel's just lazy though.

T.